Friday, February 13, 2009

I'll have a P please Paul

Its certainly the consonant of the moment.

The new Comish Paul Stephenson has laid his stall out in a 'direction of travel' speech to staff earlier this week. Every incoming boss has a signature 'stamp' to mark his first days in office and his is the 5 P's

Presence
Performance
Productivity
Professionalism
Pride

Nothing flashy but suitably similar in tone to the governments Policing Pledge so as not to sound too 'off message'.A measured Piece of Product Placement you might say.

I am sure the 5 P's will appear in Posters in our stations over the next month or so.

There are always Posters.

But I am hoping we don't get the warrant card sized insert handouts. If I kept every one of those I have been issued with over the years my warrant card holder would be the size of a house brick.

I have read through Mr Stephenson's speech and basically I believe what he is trying to say is that what we do is in itself a very simple concept and I have to agree. Policing in its Purest form is keeping the Queens peace and the Prevention and detection of crime.

He does get a bit Preachy at a few points and is vague on issues such as Productivity and Performance. Measurability in these area is difficult and a Plethora of Police blogs testify to the corrosive effect of targets and its effects on Public Perception and morale.

There is an almost evangelical zeal in some parts but he must realise,and he admits that he has some considerable time in the job, that he has to convince the muttering/chattering blue masses that this is not a case of 'same horse different jockey'

The one P he doesn't refer to is Politics.

Our independence as an organisation has become P**s P**r.

How he deals with the infighting and demands of the Mayor of London's office, London Assembly and the Home office will,I think,define his tenure.

This speech was Pitched as a 'direction of travel'. As a Passenger on the team bus I hope he gets it right.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

prophetic, poetic, pedantic? Probably pandemic.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Old BE said...

Don't suppose there is a link to his speech somewhere? I would be interested to read it....

4:19 PM  
Blogger Area Trace No Search said...

And no fleeces!

8:05 AM  
Blogger Officer Dibble said...

Anonymous
If his 5 P's hits the imagination I am sure it will be Plagiarised by others and could well be Pandemic

Blue Eyes.

I dont think the full transcript went out in the public domain.
It was to a police 'family' audience and so more Job pitched. His speech points are the 5 Ps.
I am sure it will distilled and decanted for public consumpton in due course.

ATNC

Its looking like that.A return to a consistent Met wide uniform brand.I have to agree in some way with what he is trying to say.
Does his pet hate include the Geltex?.. we can only wait and see

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm..ribina_xmza

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home