Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Drawbridge slowly rises...

Interesting article

here

Our Leaders are clearly worried that there might be those out there in the populace who have the potential to cause them harm.

I often find it amusing when there are reports in the Media that a 'team' of officers are investigating an offence.
Usually it is lone officer, armed with a computer (shared ),a phone and (if they are on a good day) the use of the pool car for a few hours.
There is also,usually,about 10 + files looking at them saying 'what about me'?

'Stalking' jobs are usually dealt with at Borough level.
I am talking proper stalking jobs (not the he did/she did stuff that demeans the intention of the legislation)

Of those that I have dealt with one in particular had me worried. Their behaviour was becoming more bizarre and irrational. It took some time to track them down. There was no resources thrown at it,no squad formed.It was just me and occasional assistance from colleagues who spared some time from their own jobs.

There have been some 'Stalker' jobs which have ended tragically.The aftermath is picked apart,various agencies pushed to the front for castigation and usually (as we are at the bottom of the pile) blame often ends with us, the police.

I doubt,strongly,that in those circumstances that led to tragedy there was any indifference or negligence involved. Just a DS, DC or PC trying their best, amongst other demands on their time, with what they had.

Now a whiff of potential threat to those in power and resources are thrown at it.

Like when the transparency of the Freedom of Information Act became a little too open they quickly rushed through an opt out for themselves.

They are so far out of touch with those that voted them in, that they may as well be behind the walls of that Castle on the Hill.

If the Team of Psychiatrists staffing this unit are looking for signs in people of a desire to scream, shout and run after an MP they might find themselves a tad busy.

4 Comments:

Blogger Whichendbites said...

You forgot the swoop. Media reports always used to say we always swooped everywhere. It was reliable and the Police swooped, or closed the net, but I like swooped better. You know exactly where you are when you go out swooping. A bit more direct than a launch, launching something, launched, no I'll stick with a swoop, sounds much more pro-active but with that strategic ring about it. Can one officer swoop ? If we were to swoop again I'm sure it would reduce crime, somewhere.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Officer Dibble said...

WEB

I forgot about us swooping.
I think swooping is plural.
I am not sure a single officer can swoop.
Thinking about it,I dont think I have ever swooped.
I may have charged,tippy toed,or shambled up to a job..but never swooped.
I think 'the net is closing in' still has some credence..
But thats me... I do long for the past..

4:25 PM  
Blogger Whichendbites said...

Net is closing is inspiring and creates a good impression, but not as direct and pro-active as a swoop.

5:36 AM  
Anonymous Tyronecgxm said...

Net is closing is inspiring and creates a good impression, but not as direct and pro-active as a swoop.

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home