Thursday, June 05, 2008

Lets hear it one more time Petronious...

This is by far the longest break in posts I have has since I started this blog.
I mean I usually get at least one in a month! However things at work coupled with the Internet connection going down and my old faithful Packard Bell giving up the ghost means I am way behind in occasional ramblings.

As indicated in my previous post things at work are not at their best. There have been further tinkerings and changes and essentially all this micromanagement means there are less people doing about twice the workload. Not too sure were efficiency comes into that but as the wise man said 'the droppings of the Gods shall always fall amongst the common people' or something like that.

All these changes remind me of the old favourite Petronious Arbiter, who's quote has adorned many an office and parade room over the years and has been mentioned on other blogs....

'We trained hard but it seemed every time we were beginning to form into teams we would be reorganised. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganising and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency and demoralisation'

Petronious apparently did exist and was around at the time of Nero.
The quote is probably considered to be a 70's creation and Petronius was given the cred for it.

Wise words nonetheless.

I prefer to think it was Petronious.I have this image of a couple of old grumpy centurions sitting around the table with a jug of wine grumbling about how the 'Legions f****d'

Ultimately nothing changes over the centuries once you get new management involved,things just go around and around.

2 Comments:

Blogger Peter S said...

No, it's not Petronius (no "o", by the way). According to Wikipedia, it was written by an American writer called Charlton Ogburn, Jr.

See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlton_Ogburn

4:15 AM  
Blogger Officer Dibble said...

Peter
Thanks for that...The quote probably never did read like something written by someone at the time of Nero but I think the opinions expressed are timeless.

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home