Monday, January 01, 2007

Have you seen your 'Annus Horriblis' ?

To answer my own question above... I believe I did.

I have worked the majority of New Years Eves in my career, however the wildlife who landed in my little parcel of paradise surpassed themselves with their behaviour this year.
Things were quiet early on, but after the ramped up sense of false 'bonhomie' faded after midnight and the alcohol and drugs kicked in and the groups of surly aggressive youth moved away from the centre...things kicked off.

The Teams on duty were ran ragged for a long period with call after call and the numbers became thinner and thinner as arrests were made and units were tucked up with victims.

Scum don't have manning levels or cost considerations. They just meet up, form into groups.
Unfortunately Police do and we have to deal with whatever happens with the officers who are posted for that shift

I think the Teams on duty 'just' managed to keep a lid on it but it was close to some form of anarchy at one point as gangs just roamed and randomly attacked individuals.
I do not think there was any purpose to it. The gratuitous level of violence was the key.
The fact that they could, with little opportunity for the victim to fight back..
Any theft of property just seemed to be an afterthought.
On personally dealing with the aftermath of a number of incidents and reading the details of the rest on the 'box' later, even I as a (if I can use the word) 'veteran' felt numbed and angry as to what had gone on over the period.

There are those who might say 'Well its that time of year its just a one off'.. but I just can't accept that.

These scum do not transform from well behaved individuals into marauding, amoral, violent gangs because of the time of the year. Its because they are what they are and they have NO respect for those who have to be around them or any form of Authority.

As a country I would like to use the F word and say we are.....
However a I will quote Dads army ( a fictional character I know) but from a time when Britain was a far more stoic and basically decent place to be.... 'We're Doomed.. Doomed I tell ye'

Miserable post I know but it was one of those shifts.

Those that do dip into my Blog, thanks, take care for 2007 ( or any other year after that!) and look out for yourselves, family and colleagues.

4 Comments:

Blogger Annette said...

I agree, those who do that (fighting etc) usually do it all year round, not just on new years eve.
When you see gangs like that I bet there are times you wish you had a bomb with you.......

9:59 AM  
Blogger Officer Dibble said...

Annette
I felt like calling up for an open top jeep and a pump action shotgun.

Thanks for your comment.

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Rick Wilson said...

I agree, those who do that (fighting etc) usually do it all year round, not just on new years eve. When you see gangs like that I bet there are times you wish you had a bomb with you.......

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Richudhl said...

Annette I felt like calling up for an open top jeep and a pump action shotgun. Thanks for your comment.

12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home